Sabbatical leaves are governed by the Board of Trustees Policies , Article 13, Title E (pages 69 and 70)
Sabbatical leaves for professional development may be made available to members of the professional staff who meet the requirements set forth below. The objective of such leave is to increase an employee’s value to the University and thereby improve and enrich its program. Such leave shall not be regarded as a reward for service nor as a vacation or rest period occurring automatically at stated intervals.
Sabbatical leaves shall be granted for planned travel, study, formal education, research, writing or other experience of professional value.
- Academic employees having continuing appointments and college administrative officers not in a negotiating unit established pursuant to Article XIV of the Civil Service Law
- Have completed at least six consecutive years of service within the University or who, if they previously have had a sabbatical leave, have completed at least six consecutive years of service within the University from the date of return from their last sabbatical leave, shall be eligible for sabbatical leave. (In computing consecutive years of service for the purpose of this section, periods of vacation leave and periods of sick leave with salary shall be included; periods of leaves of absences, other than vacation and sick leave with salary, and periods of part-time service shall not be included but shall not be deemed an interruption of otherwise consecutive service.
Terms and Conditions
- Sabbatical leaves may be granted for periods of one year at rates not to exceed one-half basic state annual salary or for periods of one-half year at rates not to exceed full basic state annual salary.
- Eligible employees on sabbatical leave may, with the prior approval of the chief administrative officer, accept fellowships, grants-in-aid, or earned income to assist in accomplishing the purposes of their leaves. In such cases, the chief administrative officer may adjust the sabbatical leave salaries to reflect such income, either prior to or during the periods of such leaves, provided, however, that in no case shall sabbatical leave salary be reduced if total earnings are less than full salary.
- Submit completed Sabbatical Leave Request PDF form to your Department Chair
- Upon Department Chair's recommendation of the request, the form will be forwarded to the Dean
- Upon the Dean's recommendation of the request, the form will be forwarded to the President for final review