Team Upstate FAQs
What is the purpose of Team Upstate?
The purpose of Team Upstate is to encourage volunteer participation among our students, staff, faculty and retirees. Team Upstate promotes our own sponsored activities, as well as those in our Greater Syracuse community into the communities in which we live in order to promote our quality of life and maintain Upstate's mission, vision, and values among our constituents.
How do you determine which events Team Upstate will support?
Team Upstate supports a number of Upstate activities and events each year, in addition to many others throughout Central New York that work to promote our quality of life and maintain Upstate's mission, vision, and values among our constituents.
The Upstate Medical University Mission, Vision & Values:
- The mission of Upstate Medical University is to improve the health of the communities we serve through education, biomedical research, and health care.
The vision for Upstate University Hospital is to be the leading regional academic medical center in the nation. SUNY Upstate will be:
a. A catalyst in the delivery of patient-centered health care that addresses our region's most pressing concerns;
b. A highly regarded resource for the education of health professionals, especially in shortage areas;
c. A global resource for research that improves understanding of health and disease;
d. A place to work that recognizes excellence
- Our mission is achieved through our shared values
What is the process to obtain Team Upstate support?
Consistent with Upstate's Mission and Vision:
In evaluating sponsorship requests/opportunities, Team Upstate should first consider whether the requesting organization and/or the event/activity are in keeping with our mission and vision that tie back to the Strategic Plan (see below).
The community organization and event/activity must address a community health care and/or educational need. The sponsorship request must provide us with an opportunity to communicate our capabilities as an academic medical center.
a. The sponsorship request must provide Team Upstate with an opportunity to market/promote key services.
b. Individual departments may support community activities if their plans support their marketing goals, are self-supporting, and do not involve campus resources.
c. Events sponsored by The Advocates for Upstate Medical University, The Upstate Foundation, the Medical Alumni groups, and The Volunteer Services Department are exempt from these guidelines.
Requests to sponsor individuals cannot be accepted:
Upstate cannot sponsor employees or other individuals who may approach the organization for financial support for their individual participation in a fundraising effort or event.
What if my department is willing to support my event or cause? Do I need to work with Team Upstate as well?
their marketing goals, are self-supporting, and do not involve campus resources.
Does Team Upstate support other causes that are not tied to healthcare or education?
What is my first step in approaching Team Upstate for support?
All organizations approaching Team Upstate for sponsorship must fill out and submit a copy of our sponsorship request form. Visit the Your Cause section to find out more information.
The form and any other information submitted by the requesting organization will be reviewed by the Team Upstate Executive Committee. All organizations must submit requests no later than three months prior to the event. Questions about our sponsorship process and criteria may be directed to: Office of the President at 315-464-4513 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
How far in advance of my event do I need to approach Team Upstate?
I'd like to raise money for Upstate. Can Team Upstate help me promote that?
What is Team Upstate's approval process?
Before initiating any fundraising efforts, contact The Upstate Foundation regarding coordination. In addition, contacting any group of alumni requires permission and coordination with the appropriate alumni association. Please see the policy for more information.
- All organizations approaching Team Upstate for sponsorship must fill out and submit a copy of our sponsorship request form.
- This form and any other information submitted by the requesting organization will be reviewed by the Team Upstate Executive Committee.
- All organizations must submit requests no later than three months prior to the event; the Team Upstate Executive Council meets four times a year. Please see the schedule of meetings .
- Requests that are received less than three months in advance risk being excluded from consideration.
- Questions about the Team Upstate Your Cause sponsorship process and criteria may be directed to: Office of the President at 315-464-4513 or e-mail email@example.com .
- Any activity supported by Team Upstate must conform to the Upstate policies on fundraising, patient confidentiality, and use of the Upstate name. These policies are available online (Note: there are no posted campus policies concerning fundraising)
- Final determination of sponsorship events will be based on (1) review by Team Upstate's Executive Committee in collaboration with The President's Office; (2) available funds; and (3) value to the institution.